30 thoughts on “Open a US Bank Account as a Non-Resident: How to Guide”

• If you want to open an account in a real bank, you must go to a bank branch in the United States physically. For Nigerian users I would recommend an EMI like Payoneer.

1. I have a company registered in FL. My Partner is states resident. Is there any way I can open an account for myself in USA? We have our corporate account in Regions Bank. But it is still under her name.

Thanks,

2. I wish to invest in property in the USA and need a bank account there. Can I open an account in an American bank while sitting in London?

• If it is a personal account the answer is no in almost all cases. You will need to visit a branch in the US. But you can invest in the US property market through REITs or real estate crowdfunding platforms.

3. It is possible to open an account for a company register en Central America in order to receive payments from a company register en USA -FL

• I did not understand you completely. Do you want to open a US bank account for a company incorporated in a country in Central America?

• In that case an EMI like TransferWise is also the best option. Open a corporate bank account with TW for your central American company. Get paid on TransferWise and you can withdraw to a local account in your country of origin.

4. Hi there! What bank would you recommend if I have a Wyoming LLC with an EIN? As the owner, I’m non US resident and I don’t have an SSN – this unfortunately has been a sticking point in the past.

• If you have an US bank account you will have a card, you can withdrawal from the card or make a bank transfer to your bank in your country of residence. For those using TransferWise, you will also get a card (depending on your country of residence). If you live in a country where the card is not available, you can still send the money to a bank account in your country of residence.

5. Hello Jon,

I am looking to open my LLC in Wyoming & I have couple of questions and the bank account I would get through TransferWise,

1. Would I be able to use this bank account like regular bank account along with option to deposit funds via Paper Checks, Wire or ACH? I mean all regular ways?
    2. Would I be able to use TransferWise on our website as a ecommerce tool, send invoice to the customers for payments, I mean as merchant service like PayPal?

Thanks,

• 1. Yes for everything, except for paper checks.
      2. Not directly. You will still need a merchant account with a company like PayPal, Stripe or 2Checkout. Then, you can withdraw the funds from the merchant account to your TransferWise business account.

6. Hello, I need to open from Argentina a US non resident account , in a Bank with branches ,to take the money cash ,if its necessary. And provide me, a free debit card can you help me?
    Regards

7. Hi,

What is the maximum limit per transaction? like Payoneer has a limit of $5500 which a client can pay to you.

What’s the limit for Transferwise?

• You can raise your Payoneer limit depending on the size of your business. Mostly, TransferWise has no limits, but it will depend on your account and location. For USD currency accounts, the receiving limit per day is 250K, and for business accounts 3 mil.

8. I’m a USA citizen residing overseas. I already have a USA checking account with a full bank in CA but want to transfer to an O.L. Banking. They offer more and better benefits. Do I have to prove residence in the USA to open the account? My SS check is deposited into my checking account in CA.
    What do yo recommend?

• If you have a valid SSN you do not need to have a US address, but this requirement might change from bank to bank. If you want to open an account with a bank that requires an US address you can buy a virtual address that handles mail for you and is not a PO Box.

9. Hoal quisiera saber que otra alternativa a Mercury Bank existe para abrir una cuenta bancaria online para no residentes de EE.UU pero teniendo un EIN?